From 1492 to 1750, including Renaissance (14th-17th c.), Age of Discovery (16th-18th c.), Age of Sail (1571—1862), Elizabethan (1558–1603), Protestant Reformation (16th c.), Age of Enlightenment (18th c.)

Landsknecht Bust (Castle Miniatures)

This is a Landsknecht bust (200mm sckae) produced by Castle Miniatures (I think it's no more in the business) and ... yet another beautiful pose miniature!  I used the mixed acrylic-oil technique, starting with preshading in acrylic using the airbrush. The more I use oil colors, the more I like them since colors are vibrant and create very nice shades. In this case I decided to use oil colors to paint the florant texture on the orange fabric. Freehand painting always includes errors and, although it's possible to correct errors in acrylic, I realised it's much easier to correct mistakes using oil colors, since it's a matter of using a paint brush dipped into the solvent (very few...). So, I…

Comments Off on Landsknecht Bust (Castle Miniatures)

Uomo d’arme Sforzesco (Man at arms) WIP p3

Ok, I did it! The biggest challenge for this bust was the heraldry. As I said in a previous post, I decided to replicate the box art which shows a geometric pattern and a sort of shining sun, and this is for both the front and the back of the cloth. I started with the "simplest", that is the geometric pattern. I discovered that to paint freehand drawings, especially in surfaces which are not flat, the key is to create some reference points first, then draw a stylised version of the shape and finally adding the details. Below you can see and example. For the geometric pattern, I first painted some dots (sorry, I tool the pictures with my cell…

Comments Off on Uomo d’arme Sforzesco (Man at arms) WIP p3

Uomo d’arme Sforzesco (Man at arms) WIP p2

Some progress on painting my man at arms. I painted the torso composed of a bi-colour clothing over an armour and series of belts around the armour. The armour has been painted using the Vallejo Metal Colour, starting with a Steel base and the lights with steel+silver and just silver for the maximum lights. For the shadows I have used the Magnesium which is very dark. The cloth is a standard one, I used Andrea Ivory and for the red I used the AK Red Emblem which is a hue I like a lot. I took some snapshots with my iPad which you can look in the attached gallery. And now it's up to the tough part: the heraldry and…

Comments Off on Uomo d’arme Sforzesco (Man at arms) WIP p2

Uomo d’arme Sforzesco (Man at arms) WIP p1

New year, new paint work and decided to kick start 2019 with a bust of "La Meridiana Miniatures" named "Uomo d'Arme Sforzesco" ( which represents a man at arms of the Sforza family (Milan, Italy) in the second half of the XV century. The primed bust has been sitting on my desk for a long time, but yesterday I started the paint work starting, as usual, from the face. I used the Andrea acrylic colours from their paint set, starting with the brighter base flesh tone, then I added multiple glazes with brighter and darker colours to create lights and shadows. This time I am particularly pleased of the overall outcome and for this I have to thanks Vince Venturella…

Comments Off on Uomo d’arme Sforzesco (Man at arms) WIP p1

Jacobite Highlander Culloden Moor, 1746

This is a medium (scale 1:12) bust from Heroes and Villains Miniatures (ref. [1]) that portraits a Jacobite Highlander (ref. [2]). I am not fey happy with the face, I think I did the same mistake as the previous bust and used too many layers of colour, although they are thin. The real challenge here has been, of course, the tartan and the texture. It's really a nightmare painting so many line and squares and their shadows and lights, but overall I am happy the way it ended up! [ngg src="galleries" ids="18" display="pro_blog_gallery" border_color="#dd9933"] References[1] -[2] -

Comments Off on Jacobite Highlander Culloden Moor, 1746